Sunday, September 8, 2013

September 8th, 2013 Commentary to Henri Nouwen's Daily Meditation

http://myemail.constantcontact.com/Daily-Meditation--Choosing-the-Blessings.html?soid=1011221485028&aid=lppfgSFBWCk

In case the above link to Henri Nouwen’s Daily Meditation doesn’t work:
Sunday September 8, 2013
Choosing the Blessings

It is an ongoing temptation to think of ourselves as living under a curse.  The loss of a friend, an illness, an accident, a natural disaster, a war, or any failure can make us quickly think that we are no good and are being punished.   This temptation to think of our lives as full of curses is even greater when all the media present us day after day with stories about human misery.

Jesus came to bless us, not to curse us.  But we must choose to receive that blessing and hand it on to others.  Blessings and curses are always placed in front of us.  We are free to choose.  God says, Choose the blessings!

My Commentary:
What does Blessing mean to you?  It’s a simple enough question but hear that question again deeply:  What does Blessing mean to you living in the Light of GRACE?  In regards to myself, it means always being grateful.  I thank the Lord each and every day for all things.  As often the case, even for when things go awry, when my life is terrible or as Nouwen puts it “seemingly cursed!”  In connecting to our God of GRACE, it is important to for a moment, in our human frailty, know that when we are unhappy, or show sadness, distress in the way life is going… we are not aware that He cries with us.  A God who has showered us with unconditional Love/GRACE, defeating sin, death and the devil at the cross, is most certainly sad with us in hoping as well that we will find the gratefulness and blessedness in our everyday life.  Even through my tears, I thank God every day for the sun, the beauty of the earth, my family and friends.  This little thing I do for a God who has given everything to me, everything I don’t deserve!  As a disciple, I discipline my heart to feel for God and “choose” to give what I can which is love.  Love to my heavenly parent who loves me unconditionally.  He is my courage, He is my confidence to fight the Good fight.  May I never not be grateful.
Amen, Alleluia!

God Bless Your Sundays!

Nicole Collins

No comments:

Post a Comment