Sunday, September 29, 2013

September 29th, 2013 Commentary on Henri Nouwen's Daily Meditation

http://myemail.constantcontact.com/Daily-Meditation--Baptism--a-Call-to-Commitment.html?soid=1011221485028&aid=kkTZmHGP3SA

In case the above link to Henri Nouwen’s Daily Meditation doesn’t work:
Sunday September 29, 2013 
Baptism, a Call to Commitment

Baptism as a way to the freedom of the children of God and as a way to a life in community calls for a personal commitment.  There is nothing magical or automatic about this sacrament.  Having water poured over us while someone says, "I baptize you in the Name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit," has  lasting significance when we are willing to claim and reclaim in all possible ways the spiritual truth of who we are as baptized people.

In this sense baptism is a call to parents of baptized children and to the baptized themselves to choose constantly for the light in the midst of a dark world and for life in the midst of a death-harboring society.

My Commentary:
As I’ve told many people about my conversion experience just a little over ten years ago; the tears I cried at that service were Baptismal.  Why would I have considered them Baptismal?  When God decides to truly reveal something to you that will completely change your life… It was at that moment of hearing His commission to my heart of a new direction for my life that I cried.  The tears flowing over my face, were silent GRACE.  I experienced God’s GRACE entering in most completely into my life and beckoning me to complete obedience as His Disciple.

It’s a shame having grown up so marginally Roman Catholic at best… that there were no childhood memories or awareness for that matter of God’s Prevenient GRACE working even then to Baptismally find and define me.  The only spiritual formation I experienced before my conversion experience was more or less seeking to break away from the spiritual stone which was my art.

As you can see from the above, Baptism is a defining, sacred moment most definitely personal and life shaping!  Infant Baptism is a beautiful experience of commitment for the family but it is only the beginning.  You may never be aware of other Baptismal moments that completely confirm God’s unconditional love and guidance over your life.  You may never have become aware as I had to hearing deeply—God speaking to me as what had happened at that service!  Living in the Light of GRACE grows as your heart, your life transforms, shapes to that of the Lord of your life: Christ Jesus!

God Bless Your Sundays!

Nicole Collins

The digital art below was done around the time of my conversion experience in 2003


No comments:

Post a Comment