Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Tuesday October 29th, 2013 “The importance of seeking fellowship for seeking space; my reflection on the Northern Illinois and Indiana chapter retreat of the Society of the Holy Trinity.”

Any time there is ever a question from anyone, on the outside of my faith journey, about why I consider myself an Orthodox Lutheran…  I think fondly about what true fellowship with pastoral leaders and seminarian peers is when participating in retreat with the Society of the Holy Trinity.  One of the blessings of moving into new experiences and serving in study with Pastor Keith Forni, STS at his parish in Joliet, Illinois—First and Santa Cruz Lutheran Church, is connecting with a devoted family of individuals purely seeking to both keep Christ in the center of their lives and ministries as well as champion His Gospel for all to hear.

This was the first chapter retreat I was invited to come to.  Unlike the general retreat, which is the entire community, there is a more intimate gathering of local pastors and seminarian peers.  I knew beyond a doubt God intended to make space in my busy school schedule to come for both yesterday and today for there were no classes today for the day of prayer at my seminary as well as I burned the midnight oil as they say, last week to be ahead on all of my studies for the rest of the week.  Each and every year Pastor Forni, the Northern Illinois dean of the Society, has chosen the Portiuncula Prayer center in Frankfort, Illinois for the two day gathering of prayers, worship, Bible study and as said, true fellowship.  It is a different kind of “lovely” in comparison to the Mundelein general retreat site.  Intimate rooms, gathering spaces and a lovely basement chapel give you that perfect “space” that for me was truly needed.

This year’s fall retreat had us studying Robert Jenson’s, ‘On the Inspiration of Scripture.’  The book itself is deceptively small on pages but loaded beyond imagination with fantastic theological nuggets of faith for the heart and the mind to chew on.  Pastor Forni purchased the book in honoring the memory of Pastor Thomas Knutson who died this past month from cancer.  What a gift!  I say this both in faithfully discussing the spirit’s work in relaying the scriptures as well as to host this study in loving memory of a faithful pastor. 

One of the greatest blessings from not only this retreat but from pastoral and seminarian fellowship as the intentionally connected Body; IS witness, is sharing, is being BOLD to proclaim both in what you believe and why it is critically important to do so!  We are ALL called no matter where we are on the journey of growing to serve Christ to BE witnesses to love each other—true fellowship, true friendship.  I thank God for all of these experiences for it is the triune God who inspires us all! God’s Blessings to all my brothers and sisters in the society of the Holy Trinity and beyond!


Nicole Collins


No comments:

Post a Comment