Thursday, August 29, 2013

August 29 2013 Commentary to Henri Nouwen's Daily Meditation

http://myemail.constantcontact.com/Daily-Meditation--The-Companionship-of-the-Dead.html?soid=1011221485028&aid=XOtQXobcvaQ

In case the link above doesn’t work here is Henri Nouwen’s Daily Meditation
Thursday August 29, 2013
The Companionship of the Dead

As we grow older we have more and more people to remember, people who have died before us.  It is very important to remember those who have loved us and those we have loved.  Remembering them means letting their spirits inspire us in our daily lives.  They can become part of our spiritual communities and gently help us as we make decisions on our journeys.   Parents, spouses, children, and friends can become true spiritual companions after they have died.  Sometimes they can become even more intimate to us after death than when they were with us in life.  Remembering the dead is choosing their ongoing companionship.

My Commentary:
Nouwen has been involved in a rather long series around the theme of death.  From spiritually speaking death to today’s about remembering the dead.  Two items I have in my home act in many ways as places/things of remembrance.  The first is the dressing table I was given from my grandmother upon her death.  This table has many special early childhood memories of visiting my grandparents.  Most of what is upon that table is very special to me.  The second is a little memorial of my former cats that are seated in my living room wall unit underneath the statue of St. Francis that was my grandmothers.  Upholding memories such as these reminds you of those moments with loved ones and beloved creatures.  It also builds you up in thinking of the good and the bad times.  While looking forward to the Great Hope that is in Christ Jesus, we need to ground ourselves in who we are, who we came from and what they greatly contributed to our lives.
May God Bless Your Thursdays!

Nicole Collins

I couldn't find a good picture of both my grandmother's table and my shelf but from that era I found a picture of me with Santa in 1973~

No comments:

Post a Comment