Thursday, October 3, 2019

A Reflection on 2 Timothy by Rev. Nicole A.M. Collins

2 Timothy 1:1-14
1Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus by the will of God, for the sake of the promise of life that is in Christ Jesus,
To Timothy, my beloved child: Grace, mercy, and peace from God the Father and Christ Jesus our Lord.
I am grateful to God—whom I worship with a clear conscience, as my ancestors did—when I remember you constantly in my prayers night and day. 4Recalling your tears, I long to see you so that I may be filled with joy. 5I am reminded of your sincere faith, a faith that lived first in your grandmother Lois and your mother Eunice and now, I am sure, lives in you. 6For this reason I remind you to rekindle the gift of God that is within you through the laying on of my hands; 7for God did not give us a spirit of cowardice, but rather a spirit of power and of love and of self-discipline. 8 Do not be ashamed, then, of the testimony about our Lord or of me his prisoner, but join with me in suffering for the gospel, relying on the power of God, 9who saved us and called us with a holy calling, not according to our works but according to his own purpose and grace. This grace was given to us in Christ Jesus before the ages began, 10but it has now been revealed through the appearing of our Savior Christ Jesus, who abolished death and brought life and immortality to light through the gospel. 11For this gospel I was appointed a herald and an apostle and a teacher, 12and for this reason I suffer as I do. But I am not ashamed, for I know the one in whom I have put my trust, and I am sure that he is able to guard until that day what I have entrusted to him. 13Hold to the standard of sound teaching that you have heard from me, in the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus. 14Guard the good treasure entrusted to you, with the help of the Holy Spirit living in us.

This coming Sunday as you see above, we have a particularly beautiful scripture from Paul speaking to his protege Timothy. This particular scripture really had me thinking about how we allow God to define roles of potential in our hearts to serve Him. The Words that we see in the scriptures we sometimes have a hard time relating and understanding to ourselves in this postmodern age. In some senses this has done us a grave disservice to not think about those words prayerfully in being encouraged in our own individual unique work in the world as the Body of Christ.

One of these words is the word apostle. It literally means one who is sent. We are probably more comfortable perhaps with the term disciple and wonder what the difference is really, and does it matter. There have been many an article written about discipleship as well as there has been many a conversation about discipleship; but what sets apart someone to be considered an apostle? I would just like to take a guess out there and say that it really has to do with a deep personal relationship with the Lord. This is one that is invested in building up the foundation of your heart for service.

How deep of a relationship can you have with the Lord truly depends on you. One of the beautiful aspects of doing different forms of praying and contemplating the scriptures has had me wonder, what it would be like to see Jesus in action? We have many, many paintings over the centuries of what our Lord possibly look looked like in His incarnate human form, but you can't help but wondering when the Holy Spirit is at work in your life and speaks through you... He is the third person. The third person of the Trinity. The Lord Jesus in our human form we can see by His beautiful words, His Living Word, a picture in our hearts of what He may have looked like but it is still an impression that we as people living in the 21st century do not have a photograph of.

Why would this really be so essential for some people? I think this is a matter of witness and I think it is a matter of truly how deep your faith is. I'm sure many of us have heard of the film that came out a couple of years ago about a little boy who kept painting a picture of Jesus that in my impression looked like Barry Manilow. The young boy was adamant that this truly was Jesus coming to him in a vision. Who are we to judge how the Lord is perceived in our hearts? For this young boy, he looks like a cross between the famous R. Hook painting of Jesus and Barry Manilow the singer. If I had to sketch out a picture of Jesus for myself I see him as a combination of the famous painting in the Saint Catherine of Siena monastery of ‘Our Lord the Pantocrator,’ as well as perhaps a combination of the Hook painting and the Franco Zeffirelli Jesus of Nazareth mini-series’ actor. 

Being a faithful people is very hard these days when we tried to go beyond wonder to define and declare who Jesus the Christ is, and was and DOES for the world still. This could become a Pandora's box of many theological discoveries, debates, controversies and so forth. My interest here is purely as a person of Faith, as a disciple. I am a disciple who believes in a costly Grace.  I am a disciple who believes in a prayerful obedience to be committed to the cause of delivering the Living Word as the task of being an aspect of the Body in the world.

I consider myself as someone who has been sent but what is that really saying? Is that coming from a place of the ego or is it coming from a place of hearing God deeply and realizing that God truly answers prayers? I spent the earlier part of my life as an artist, a thinker and a poet. The second half of my life has seen a crossroads between various ministries in valleys and over mountaintops, but I truly see this as God's plans for me to minister to one's deepest heart's desire to grow in faith with God. Growing in faith with God is not just a Sunday morning affair that's a common thing to say of course, it is to be a lifestyle.

Shepherding the church of God in the world as a humble servant is a key towards a discipleship that stretches the self, beyond the self.  I think the best way to really begin to wrap your mind around this is to really think of that third person of the Trinity literally there within your heart, within your very self. Prayer brings about the conversation with that very Holy Spirit within us and helps to shape us to see that we are in the world, but not to be of it. One of the greatest images I have collaged together to encapsulate our struggle as the Lord's disciples was something years later as thinking of a pair of little horns holding up a halo. The Reformation saw this as ‘simul justus et peccator’ or as translated from the Latin as “simultaneously both Saint and sinner.”

Within the ordinary of our everyday lives we overlooked the reigning Grace, gifts and miracles of God on our journey. If we even began to not only see miracles come to life, no matter how small they may be and begin to truly feel God within us as this guiding Holy Spirit we would understand what an apostle truly is. Should I dare to think myself that I have the potential to be an apostle of the Lord? If we really looked at Timothy's second letter not just seeing it as a sketch or snippet from the beautiful pastoral ministry of Paul to his protégé, we can see the truth of God in efforts to share the Holy Spirit with others to develop a faith that can move mountains.

The abstract poetic words and thoughts of a faith that can move mountains comes from how powerful our spirit is when encouraged, enlightened, strengthened and inspired by the Holy Spirit of God. This is a life built by witness no matter how flimsy at times your witness may seem or overly ordinary your witness may seem to others; we all have something beautiful in common: we have been constructed in the image of God. We truly are the children of Grace and promise.  This is not just a staple statement I have incorporated into many of my messages, but it is a truth. 

It was said when our Lord and savior was ready to be condemned to the cross that Pontius Pilate rebuked back to him saying: “what is truth?” That's an important question for us to think about today when we have gone way past Eden’s apple incident in condemnatory behavior and justification of self over and above God and neighbor.  The moments we have made God purely an aspect of the heavens in distance from us and not one who has come down to earth and be in many senses a sacrifice even within us as His Holy Spirit; how can we relate ourselves our very selves to the sense of a covenantal discipleship?

I do not see myself as merely a ministerial professional or pastor of a church in the world, but I see myself as a covenantal disciple. The only one who could really judge our roles which we need to keep clear here, is the Lord... if your faith has uplifted you to feel you can move mountains of doubt and other people's stigmas upon you then perhaps you do have an extra ordinary discipleship! Why not? There is a fine line in our doubting each other as well as within ourselves between the ego and being a humble servant to the Lord and our neighbor.

One of the beautiful Ministries I have had the opportunity to investigate early on in my own faith Journey has been Stephens Ministries. This is literally training laity to develop a skill of compassion, empathy for those within their own congregation and even beyond the congregation in visitation ministry. I've been seeing the other side of that by doing Hospice Care again in the interim hope of serving up north in the near future. Being the hands and feet of Jesus the heart's ears are greatly open to one suffering and sorrow.  This is just one side or one of many things that we can discover when we allow ourselves to deeply feel the Lord's presence in our very self, working through us.

Harboring a faith that can move mountains goes beyond faith in action it is really truthfully how God's love, His Holy Spirit's guidance is genuinely incorporated in our very selves. For us to be encouraged today, I would challenge you to think beyond “the 12.” Take the time to think about and see the many people who have been people pioneering in their faith doing amazing things in their little corner of the world whether in the country or in the desert with a love within themselves that can move mountains and touch the sky.

Rev. Nicole A.M. Collins





No comments:

Post a Comment