Sunday, October 15, 2017

A Great Invitation; Sermon for October 15th, 2017 by: Rev. Nicole A.M. Collins,OSST



This morning’s texts are all about incorporation.  If you remember what I’ve shared before, this is believing, receiving, incorporating and sharing.  These are the marks of the Christian journey, truly a lifestyle of Grace.  This is our willingness, grateful, natural response to God’s great and wonderous invitation to a New life through His leading and His Word! It is with trembling confidence, the time and the place to say: I can do all things through Christ who indeed strengthens me… for many may be called but few are chosen.  That ending sounds paradoxical but it’s actually a spiritual challenge for us to strive towards getting the right stuff.

That trembling confidence, could be seen as perhaps, what we commonly fall prey to being “spinning our wheels,” procrastinating or maybe not feeling encouraged much about the self, at all.  The Pharisees had the opposite problem you could say… they were definitely, “encouraged in themselves…” but it hardly had anything to do with being humble yet alone with truly incorporating God into their “showy” piety.  Would it be fair to say that perhaps they were what we would call works righteous?  Everything they did followed the letter of the Law but their hearts saw no real action.  The one most amazing transformation we could say for the Pharisees would be seen through St. Paul.  Here, a former Pharisee, man of the Law allowed the Gospel of Christ to completely resurrect His life into a New person!

Truth be told, but that one verse from Paul’s fourth chapter to the Philippians, is one of my all-time favorites! “I can DO all things through Christ, who has strengthened me.”  Think about that, this is something hard to begin to claim, isn’t it? I’m not saying that I don my Super-pastor’s cape because of Christ… thought some Friday’s time-tables challenge that.  What I’m saying is, that the whole person within you, can bolster that genuine mustard seed of faith and reap it!  It’s there, you know, even it is seems, at times, like its hiding.  Things going on in the world can make it feel that way.  We definitely, as well don’t want to fall prey to thinking darkly, but sometimes we can’t help it.

Just this past Wednesday, we had two speakers from the American Red Cross talk to the Clark County Ministerial Association, about keeping a spiritual eye open for signs of people coming out of shock from what happened October 1st here. Coupled with what all else has been going on around us in the world, frankly the woman’s words sounded apocalyptic.  Yikes… Yes, but now more than ever, we need to find unity spiritually, holistically within and beyond ourselves to, as the saying goes, “stay strong” in the face of the unknown.  We need to use the gifts God has blessed our lives with to be productive in helping to change the tide of the future.

As some of my closest friends know, God transformed me into who you see today and my former self, I have come to see as the artist…  But just like that earlier paradox, we can’t forget the past and who we once were, but begin to see them anew. That mustard seed of faith was cracked open for me 14 years ago, when I said YES to God and stopped spinning my wheels on answering His calls to me to a New life.  The battle or spiritual growing edge for me, however is ongoing: “Help me Lord to incorporate truly, everything You’ve been trying to teach me as well as Help me use my past to make the future brighter for my neighbor.

As you may recall from what I said at my installation service, never say never to God.  Even if every pessimistic bone in your entire body is screaming to want to run off and hide into your doubts, fear and insecurities… I say, Fight it!  Paul says it best here: “8Finally, beloved, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is pleasing, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence and if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. 9Keep on doing the things that you have learned and received and heard and seen in me, and the God of peace will be with you.” He’s truly being a great pastor to his flock here in Philippi.  He’s shepherding them with the wonderful encouragement we can only get from Christ alone and His ever-empowering Word!

The initial spark, to never saying never, was to stop lamenting over the seeming loss of hope for a kinder and gentler world and as Captain Peccard from Star Trek, the Next Generation said: MAKE it so!  Be the progress in the world you would like to see come to fruition.  Please don’t take these lovely phrases of optimism lightly, hear and feel them deeply in that first church, the heart.  This is where you need to incorporate not just what I’m trying to share with you here, but incorporate those learning moments God opens up daily, to you in your everyday life. Much of this week, I’ve had a lot of time to open myself up to God especially fighting this horrible sinus/ ear infection. I’ve had to live behind my desk most of this week.

Living behind my desk, however much this delighted my cats, I made that time productive by spiritually taking on God’s challenge to me again to reconcile my past to my New self, found through Him.  I know I’m a “newbie” here to Las Vegas but I am someone as well, who felt the pain from others beginning to express their feelings about what happened October 1st  So, what did I decide to do?  I decided to make some art again.  I decided to put the call out there to some artists, poets and clergy friends of mine to help me put together a small artbook to benefit the American Red Cross’ efforts here in town.  It hasn’t taken off like I’ve wanted it to yet.  Probably because a.) I’m the new kid on the block and b.) my friends in the art and poetry world can’t take me seriously yet about it.

What I need to say to all of those discouraging “gut” feelings I’m having is, that I must remember: “I can DO all things through Christ who strengthens me.”  I can move those obstacles out of my way, if I wanted to.  We need to say this as well about our fellowship here and our future going forward together with the work of the Gospel to DO at hand.  After worship today, there will be a wonderful meeting of those stewarding the search for a new building.  My joy in hopefulness for your efforts has been ongoing since your board’s inception.  I am hope filled and joyful for the Vision committee’s meeting on Sunday October 22nd to wrap up our brain-storming for marketing material we need to get out asap for November.  Every phone call, our church office gets, fuels my hope for where God will soon be leading us.

I’ll leave you with one last story.  Before I came to find God, I met and dated a writer whose home church was Bethany United Church of Christ. He cajoled me into coming.  That was the first church I came back to after 15 years of being agnostic.  That first day was back in the summer of 2002.  This young man gave me a great gift.  I still think about that first day filtering through old memories and prejudices about having gone to Catholic grade schools and then 2 years at a Catholic high school…  I wasn’t too open-minded yet.  It only took till the following Summer of 2003 for God to take a good whack at my heart to open to finally hearing Him!

Where that Chrysalis shell broke and my life took off however, didn’t happen, for the young man I knew.  He is still a somewhat tortured soul.  Living in the same apartment he’s always been. Struggling to survive off of his mother’s death bed annuity funds. Struggling to write anything new and basically a very sad man.  I thought, a number of years back that when he had an “out of wedlock” child with another poetry world person, he would start to find God’s lead.  That perhaps, he would begin to be truly encouraged that he can change and move forward…  This is still not the case, I have sadly come to find out. The other day out of the blue, he emailed me and asked if I would release the rights to the book I published for him years ago under my art press.  I, of course said that it was fine.

After a few emails back and forth in conversation, the thought occurred to me, the ironic coincidence that I was just beginning to put together this art book here for the Red Cross and the one person at the pivotal start of my journey contacted me.  It wasn’t coincidence, I think it is what is called a God-incidence. This was another growing edge and truly a great invitation Christ opened the eyes of my heart to see!  Here was a man still bound to and lamenting in his past. One, he never felt those words—that he could DO all things through Christ who strengthens not only him, but us all. Those same windows he would peer through watching the sun rise… but he could never really see the “Son” rising before his eyes to move forward.  Just like those Pharisaic laws putting permanent blinders upon the Pharisees to see beyond themselves…  He is not not donning that robe Jesus talks about in His parable.  He has let his past bind him, his sadness has left him in darkness and his soul is crying for change… but he won’t do anything about it.

Let us Pray,
Gracious and Loving Shepherd,
Help us to follow Your lead in our lives
Help us to realize that we have all been called
But the chosen-ness comes from our willingness to grow
We need to grow from the past through the tears and its hardships
We need to stay strong in living hope for a kinder and gentler world
May Your ever-lasting Love bring peace and confidence to us all to say:
We can DO all things through You!
AMEN

October 15th, 2017; 19th Sunday After Pentecost; Proper 23; Year A; SOLA Lectionary
Sermon by: Reverend Nicole A.M. Collins, OSST
Psalm 23; Isaiah 25:6-9; Philippians 4:4-13; Matthew 22:1-14




The link below is to this sermon's delivery at First Congregational Church at 9:30am

No comments:

Post a Comment