Sunday, April 9, 2017

"Cross-Shaped Life;" Sermon for Palm Sunday by: Rev. Nicole A.M. Collins


I will begin this morning with an embodiment from St. Paul’s Letter to the Philippians:
5Let the same mind be in you that was in Christ Jesus, 6who, though he was in the form of God, did not regard equality with God as something to be exploited, 7but emptied himself, taking the form of a slave, being born in human likeness. And being found in human form, 8he humbled himself and became obedient to the point of death— even death on a cross. 9Therefore God also highly exalted him and gave him the name that is above every name, 10so that at the name of Jesus every knee should bend, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, 11and every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.”

Back in the early days of my seminary journey I was in a wonderful class called “Scripture by Heart.” This class basically taught you to literally “take in,” perform the scripture by hearing it, living it through your heart, voice, hands and feet.  I originally had the verses from this passages to be Philippians chapter 2, verses 1-18. A few weeks back, I don’t know if anyone was able to see the video of the performance I did at my colleague’s church, I relived this amazing passage and I can declare truly that it does bring New Life each and every time I do it!

This brings us to the epitome of the Lenten season’s focus.  This focus is literally and spiritually, about Life and Death.  I wish I would have been able to preach upon last Sunday’s texts… but there with the story of Lazarus’ resurrection at the hand of Jesus, we have the first irony.  Irony is a huge theme for both last Sunday’s lectionary focus as well as the traditional Palm Sunday focus of this week’s lectionary.  Here was the Lord of Life giving/ restoring the life of His friend, Lazarus from death, where meanwhile the Sanhedrin, “Holy Men” of Israel determined that this event was the last straw and they would begin their plan to kill Jesus!

With this Sunday’s Gospel, the second irony here, which is an important one, we see Jesus entering upon the road to the cross, the road to Jerusalem.  Hosanna itself, ironically means: “Save now!”  These same people, mind you, to the Pharisees’ delight, as we would come to find out in the unfolding story of the Passion, would be soon shouting to Pontius Pilate and the Romans, to crucify Him!  His entry into Jerusalem to the pleas of the people to be “saved,” … they rejected New Life in favor of death.  This leads me to teach you why it is so important to understand and separate Palm Sunday and Good Friday.  I cannot in good theological and prayerful conscience, support the lectionary’s “Band-aid” of Passion Sunday.  As I began this sermon with a beautiful snippet from that early Christian hymn penned by St. Paul, we hear, feel, experience the epitome of the Christian life itself: Christ truly LIVED deeply in our very being!

Having Christ at the center of our hearts, that first church, also points to another significant teaching aspect of the Christian life.  This aspect is for the disciple of Jesus, living a “cross-shaped” life.  Here’s the unpopular part of the Christian journey being that we must be ready like the Prophet Isaiah claims in his suffering servant dialogue, to be ready, accountable, weather the suffering we will experience in one form or another, when we preach and teach the TRUTH (!) of the living, transformative Word of God!  Good Friday’s reality shouldn’t seem like spiritual “root-canal” but a necessary spiritual reminder of God’s Grace, sacrifice and profound love for each and every single one of us!

Spiritually grappling with the reality of the crucifixion and truthfully realizing that Our Lord Jesus is a crucified Lord…  It is as been said by many, the radical, seemingly foolishness of the cross.  It doesn’t make sense to “our” logic.  Why would God allow Himself to suffer?  Why?  Instead of asking, feel the reality of God’s Grace once more in this verse from Philippians: “…7but emptied himself, taking the form of a slave, being born in human likeness. And being found in human form, 8he humbled himself and became obedient to the point of death— even death on a cross.”  There is the ultimate understanding of selflessness.  We empty away the ego and truly live into Love!  What a beautiful thought!?  Can we do it?  Well, we’ve been trying for the last 2,000 something years… “Welcome to being human.”  It’s not a crime, remember—we are children of grace and promise after all—and still and always to be humbling learning!

Living a cross-shaped life is one that has both aspects of faith in focus and practice.  This would be the horizontal relationship of your love and commitment to God and the vertical is living truly into the do’s of the Gospel through your hearts, voices, hands and feet!  I love this simple reminder of keeping those spiritual “training wheels” of the disciple in place.  I learned that from the pastor I was blessed to intern with and serve with in the church plants I was involved with before I was blessed with coming to serve you!

Let’s see this concept performed for your memory and practice once again.  The vertical relationship, make the sign of the cross, and the horizontal relationship. See how by touching in motion from one shoulder to the next, you ARE including your whole self? The whole Christian is one that disciplines the heart, voice, hands and feet to embody Christ and His teachings, His Grace and profound love.  What does this equal? I’ll tell you what it equals, it equals the Kingdom of God!  It is, as my Evangelical friends would say, living into Kingdom thinking.

What if all over the world, people did truly hear, live and incorporate what St. Paul was imparting to the Philippians?  What would the world truly look like today?  I was talking with a colleague of mine the other day about the notion of service and compassion.  We both began to conclude that perhaps there is a disturbing trend developing that is dissolving the willingness and compassion to serve.  This has been building for quite some time.  It is structured and justified by greed and indifference, the substructure to all sin.

I never will forget hearing the very tragic story of a man left to die outside of the hospital’s emergency room doors since the hospital personnel didn’t want to take legal liability!  A man fell over, right outside the former Chicago Ravenswood Hospital on a cold April evening.  No one from the hospital, in fear over money and legalities, came to this poor man’s aid.  It of course made the headlines 20 years ago and was debated by reporters, lawyers and the like, but the very fact remained, they watched, allowed and justified this innocent man’s death!  How awful, how ridiculous… but it happened, nonetheless.

Let’s go back into the Gospel here, these people we crying out with joy and pleading lips—“Save Now!” Hosanna! Are we spiritually avoiding this thought when we avoid Good Friday and its story of the Passion? I think we are.  There is that fine, biting edge of the sword of the Christian journey: In order to truly understand and live into God’s Grace we must be willing to compassionately and selflessly come to terms with the crucifixion (Death) and the Resurrection (Life).  This is the radical and profound truth of the Gospel! This is the Good News, we are claimed and called to carry as disciples of Jesus! Grace is the reality of Christ incorporated in the heart—the whole story, no short cuts, and lived!

A few years back, it didn’t make too many headlines as it was too disturbing to see and may have stirred the political waters too much… but there were the very first pictures of Christian persecutions undertaken by ISIS.  Unlike how crucifixions were executed in the ancient days of early Christianity, the tortured victims were already dead and roped up to the cross in a mocking fashion.  What perhaps people may have not realized, spiritually, in seeing some of these disturbing pictures is the irony that the ISIS executioners were further mocking the whole message of death and life that is at the heart of the story of Christianity!

The epitome of this sermon is not to be a “guilt trip” of our fallen humanity but should be seen as an encouragement and eye-opener to what makes Grace ever-more amazing and why we call and consider ourselves Christians.  Keep these questions percolating in your heart as we journey towards the triumph of Easter: Am I doing the do’s of the Gospel?  Am I disciplining my heart to lead a cross-shaped life? Where am I on this discipleship road?

Instead of a prayer, I want to leave you with a beautiful statement by a martyred Zimbabwe pastor:
The Disciple’s Creed 
“I'm a part of the fellowship of the unashamed. The die has been cast. I have stepped over the line. The decision has been made. I'm a disciple of His and I won't look back, let up, slow down, back away, or be still. My past is redeemed. My present makes sense. My future is secure. I'm done and finished with low living, sight walking, small planning, smooth knees, colorless dreams, tamed visions, mundane talking, cheap living, and dwarfed goals. I live by faith, lean on His presence, walk by patience, lift by prayer, and labor by Holy Spirit power. My face is set. My gait is fast. My goal is heaven. My road may be narrow, my way rough, my companions few, but my guide is reliable and my mission is clear. I will not be bought, compromised, detoured, lured away, turned back, deluded or delayed. I will not flinch in the face of sacrifice or hesitate in the presence of the adversary. I will not negotiate at the table of the enemy. I won't give up, shut up, or let up until I have stayed up, stored up, prayed up, paid up, and preached up for the cause of Christ. I am a disciple of Jesus. I must give until I drop, preach until all know, and work until He comes. And when He does come for His own, He'll have no problems recognizing me. My colors will be clear!”
AMEN

Palm Sunday April 9th, 2017; Palm Sunday; SOLA Lectionary
Sermon By: Reverend Nicole A.M. Collins
Psalm 31:9-16; Isaiah 50:4-9a; Philippians 2:5-11; John 12:12-19





The link below is to this sermon's delivery at First Congregational Church of Las Vegas at their 9am service.  Come next week to hear Pastor Collins at: 3415 S. Mojave Rd., Las Vegas, NV 89121

No comments:

Post a Comment