Saturday, August 29, 2015

"Refocusing the Lens;" Sermon for August 30th, 2015 by Reverend Nicole A.M. Collins

The International Federation of Social Workers’ global working definition of social work and the social worker is as quoted: “Social work is a practice-based profession and an academic discipline that promotes social change and development, social cohesion, and the empowerment and liberation of people. Principles of social justice, human rights, collective responsibility and respect for diversities are central to social work.”

This is a very noble concept indeed especially in the sense that it is the secular answer to serving and caring for neighbor.  I thought about this concept a lot after I was spending an entire morning doing one of the many wonderful ministries I enjoy as a pastor which is visitation.

I was visiting an individual in the hospital the other day for over four hours.  This visit in particular was critically important since the individual was borderline suicidal and not in his right place emotionally.  I was grateful to be a comforting presence of prayer and an open heart to hear and aid in spiritually healing this person.  One of the additional tasks I had to do on their behalf the other day was sit down with his doctors, nurses and social workers to give my impressions of the individual and to offer myself to be of any assistance they may need in helping to find him a rehabilitation facility and mental health counseling.

As a person of tradition and a “woman” minister, going into hospitals always reveals a mixed response of people wondering what you are and where are you going.  In fact the other minister assisting me in helping this individual also came by herself later in the day to visit.  She said that someone asked her jokingly if she was wearing a Halloween costume.  Pretty sad, if you ask me but that is still the sad fact of how some people outwardly view women in ministry! 

During the extended time of ministering to this individual, I was greatly looking forward to speaking with the hospital’s social worker in dialoguing my assessment and offering myself to her disposal if she needed more information.  Well as the saying goes, the balloon of excitement and hopeful dialogue was greatly deflated upon the entrance and initial exchange between the social worker and myself.  Not only was she very curt and frankly rather rude and disrespectful but said point blank to me in front of the patient—why don’t you just take him in and care for him yourself…

Not only was this social worker violating the Hippa laws to a degree but the indifference and passionless sense of her un-informed perspective was just plain awful to experience and see!  Not even asking how he was doing, she asked for his insurance cards and completely ignored that the person was in a fragile emotional state. As a pastor and a disciple of Jesus commanded by an inner obedience to Love God and neighbor; this behavior both greatly saddened me and made me angry!

We can create great statements of goals, ideals and quote “job descriptions” for things we do in this world… But if they are not truly, inwardly transforming the heart to serve—then why are you doing it?  After a very brief uncomfortable time both in the patient’s room and then begrudgingly in the hallway with this social worker…  I couldn’t help but see someone who only was interested in money and “it’s just a job” mentality, especially since she asked as if I was not listening, why don’t you and your church give them money to move into an assisted facility. She continued begrudgingly and somewhat annoyed to take down my phone number and look into Medicare covered facilities for this person who has no family and nowhere to go!

If this social worker even remotely held herself accountable to the statement I quoted at the beginning of this sermon; she would be compassionately listening and discerning all details of the sad story of this patient’s life now desperately needing her help! Thinking even further about this, what if I wasn’t there, what if the other minister wasn’t there as well trying to aid this person to receive proper care and concern… He would fall through the cracks.  Perhaps even left out and made homeless by a system that claims to offer itself as quote: “an academic discipline that promotes social change and development, social cohesion, and the empowerment and liberation of people.”

Whatever titles, descriptions and outward definitions we give ourselves in creating that abstract “Jacob’s Ladder” of righteousness to God—if it is not inwardly realized truthfully in the heart… it is ego, plain and simple.  It is vanity and lip service bearing the ugly fruits of indifference, greed and despair.  This hospital employee was just that, an employee and not someone who truly and truthfully cared for the individuals they’re supposed to care for! 

Taking those baby steps with joy into ministry has been nothing but wonderful and humbling, speaking for myself, on so many levels.  For everything I do and say through Christ Jesus who is my Lord and Savior; I try to continue to grow inwardly.  Teach me O Lord is the song of my heart as His dedicated disciple, committed to serve Him and my neighbor!  I have recently been blessed to be involved in many different ministries, one being in addition to serving 2 church plants is caring for seniors through “Visiting Angels.”

I am currently caring for an elderly couple of sisters near to my home.  One is 96 and the other is 88.  They really only truly want my company.  Which on one level I love to be there for them on the other, it is rather sad that I am “paid” to be their company.  The few tasks I do in aiding the 88 year old, I always find it sweet that she tells me over and over I’m terribly sorry to be such trouble today.  She has polio in her legs and has good and bad days walking and functioning.  Her spry 96 year old sister can’t help her walk anymore due to arthritis and a variety of other health issues. 

Some on the outside of this kind of service would perhaps see this as only half ministry, half healthcare.  I don’t see it as half and half whether it is technically or outwardly seen as such to me it is ministry period.  For why would this be different if I was their pastor coming to purely visit them from their church?  Is there some unspoken rule or “job” description that says I’m not supposed to help carry her?  Or aid her in putting on her jacket?  Or helping her to walk into the kitchen?

We spend, as a society, an inordinate amount of time judging and correcting one another to what role we are supposed to “fit” into.  Yes, I am a pastor.  I love to vest, I love wearing blue jeans & I am a woman minister! So what difference does that truly make?  If I wanted to heartily live into the “ego” aspect of ministry I would be concerned about staying upon that unrealistic pedestal of representing an office… BUT If I am not representing Christ Jesus profoundly in my heart; I am only a hypocrite and another ugly addition to a fallen humanity that can’t even practice what they preach!

Some may only see me as someone not building the “right ladder” to what they configure a pastor to be… but then perhaps they’re not looking behind them seeing the domino of closing church doors, fading congregations and empty ritualism that doesn’t feed the soul yet alone is obedient to Christ & His Gospel! It is more than convenient to put on those blinders, as the priesthood of all believers, we are all guilty of this at some time or another, when we don’t want to be truly accountable yet alone humble to a new kind of spiritual discipline… BUT Christ Jesus is calling us to inward obedience, transformation and service!

The other minister and myself will most likely have to meet again with this social worker to make sure that our parishioner is truly being cared for.  It’s not something I am necessarily looking forward to but as Paul says in today’s letter, I must don that armor. I must take up that shield of faith that my heart has shaped by and for Christ as well as I must carry that sword of the spirit—God’s Word and use it! I could be a prisoner to this culture or merely a chaplain to culture and its Jacob’s ladder ego-built climb to righteousness BUT I willingly choose to be a bold witness, ambassador for that unpopular, radical obedience to Christ Jesus and His Gospel of Grace!

Being a prisoner to this culture is purely working a job, listing office hours...  Paying lip service to human idealism as purely burgeoning empty promises…  For the devil can and does work in both places…  What you are on the inside and what you return outwardly to the world quote, for the world.  Prayer is lived when the heart, that 1st church connects with the head and then the hands and feet to produce the beautiful fruits of living Grace.  As God is my witness, those words I took deeply into my heart and confessed the day I was ordained; I WILL make good upon for the rest of my earthly life!
AMEN

August 30th, 2015; 14th Sunday after Pentecost; Proper 17; Year B; SOLA Lectionary
Sermon by Reverend Nicole A.M. Collins
Psalm 119:129-136; Deuteronomy 4:1-2, 6-9; Ephesians 6:10-20; Mark 7:14-23



This sermon link below was delivered at the Grace Hub Discipleship Ministries' house church at 8am
https://youtu.be/BgXkxikqkmA

No comments:

Post a Comment